Official Discussion Thread - S04E08 Rarity Takes Manehattan

Another week and that means another new episode to discuss. This week we get Rarity Takes Manehattan, our first episode focusing on the generous mare of elegance we all love. ;) Well, most of us. :wail: What will happen? Well we don't know yet, but hopefully it will include a song! Anyway, please discuss, we just ask that you keep spoilers hidden with the spoiler tag for those who haven't seen the episode yet (especially if any spoilers before the airing). Episode airs Saturday 10am EST (9am CST) on January 4th. :idea:

lines_rarity_by_mrcbleck-d6yg37k.png.jpeg

:Rarity: We know two things: It will involve fabulous fashion, and Spike will still be her willful tool. :Rarity:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i didn't like rarity at first till i saw dog and pony show then i saw the episode of her just losing it and going through a mental brake down of sorts (i forget the episode title at this moment in time) oh and suited for success was great as well among others. so all in all I'm looking forward to this :idea::D

This is that episode. I've always assume FiM was just keeping to backwater town and that they were capable of post industrial era tech. Pretty much if it doesn't use i microprocessor and silicon chips they probably have it in Equestria. Skycrapers, advanced building techniques, suspension bridges... ****.

^edit: what did it censor?

Really good episode, def. feels more like a "classic" MLP:FiM episode and the moral actually didn't fall flat this time. I loved the several references to not only pop culture (they were actually subtle this time!) but to the show in of itself. Still wondering why Rarity just doesn't ask Suri how she made the fabric in front of everypony, but whatever.

The ending was kinda miss though. So Rarity offers to make the costumes for a play. In exchange, she gets an exclusive show for herself and her friends. I'm presuming that she would then have made the costumes for free, since she was compensated with the exclusive show. Instead, she hands off the job to someone else's apprentice, whom she barely knows. This pony will probably be expecting payment.

Also, why did Rarity have to make the costume in Manehatten? Couldn't she make them in Ponyville and ship them to Manehatten? Honestly, that scene didn't really work. We were hit with the idea that Rarity wouldn't be in Ponyville as much and thought it was going somewhere, and then it was resolved in a matter of minutes. The resolve kinda made the set-up seem pointless TBH.

I enjoyed this episode! I think it's interesting the Mane Six have been present, front-and-center each episode. Rarity did get lots of focus, which is a good thing considering the episode was titled after her. Rainbow's comment before the song caught me off guard. It was brilliant. Grumpy Cat cameo was funny. I wasn't expecting Rarity to dip into meanie territory, but it was resolved pretty quickly and laid the groundwork for the episode lesson. That rainbow thread at the end? Hmmmmm.

I felt like the antagonist this episode didn't really get her just-desserts. I'm interested to see if these events carry over to a later episode.

This is that episode. I've always assume FiM was just keeping to backwater town and that they were capable of post industrial era tech. Pretty much if it doesn't use i microprocessor and silicon chips they probably have it in Equestria. Skycrapers, advanced building techniques, suspension bridges... ****.

^edit: what did it censor?

Technology has always been interpretive to the writers based on the needs of the episode. We've seen hydroelectric dams, giant vacuum machines, and brain-reading machines, among other things, but that doesn't mean Equestria is enjoying an era of industrial development.

I'm not sure what the language filter censored, because it only censors foul language.

*claps hooves*

I've been eagerly anticipating this day for a while now. We really haven't had a Rarity episode since Sweet and Elite and that was over two years ago. After being unduly ignored through the entirety of season 3, best pony desperately needed to claim the limelight for her own once more. Now that she has, I have to say I'm not at all disappointed. Rarity Takes Manehattan was one of the most delightful episodes of the season thus far.

Now, of course, a lot of the reason was that it was Rarity. It was prime Rarity really. Her enthusiasm, her energy, it was the same as it ever was and it was infectious. She even sung and it was glorious. Her Generosity song was another winner on the music front for the season. Kazumi is the best. It really was a look at Rarity at her core as well which just felt good and made me a happy pony.

The episode had more to it than just Rarity though. it also had Manehattan. Manehattan was pretty cool as a location. It was about what we'd expect, yes, but it really looked pretty cool and had a lot of fun elements. I had wondered what pony pun might be canon for the Broadway analog; Bridleway is a great choice. Everything looked cool and distinctive and gave the episode exactly the right kind of feel. Dave Polsky is pretty good at taking us to new places; seeing Manehattan in full is as satisfying as seeing Appleloosa or the Tenochtitlan Basin for sure.

I also think the new characters were pretty interesting. Suri Polomare was a delightful standout, with her lack of morality and cutthroat attitude; Rarity had never had a rival like this exactly, so it's kind of awesome to have a character like this.I also find her pretty cute. Want to see her again and I'd love to see her in the RP. Might have apped her myself if I wasn't already Rarity. Coco Pommel was absolutely adorable. She made the ending really sweet and I'd like to see her again too. I very briefly wondered if Rarity wasn't going to take her on as an assistant herself at the end... but I suppose giving Rarity hired help is just a plotline I've very much considered several times myself.

If I had to say something bad about the episode, it would be that maybe in a few spots it feels like it might be trying just a little too hard. This was Dave Polsky's first time writing a Rarity episode and while he did a fine job of it, I get maybe a slight sense he wasn't entirely confident with it. He was a bit heavyhanded with the direct nods to Mane six's elements and such. Then there was stuff like the direct reference to the wet mane Rarity image that became a meme of sorts; sure it made me squeal through the entirety of the brief reprise to the day's song... but it also does kind of make me wonder if the people involved were concerned if people would like the episode on its own or not.

Those are terribly small points though. I realize I'm biased as all whatever, but this is still the best episode yet this season in my book. It just had me smiling the whole way through, and I'd love to see more like it. Let us hope the Rarity episodes this season are many and all so fabulous.

This was a great episode! From the little things like the ponified Dolce Gabanna bag, to the bridge the train ran on into Manehattan, it was chock-full of great visuals and shots of the city. A decent song in the beginning with a humorous lead in from Rainbow Dash, and a conflict that does indeed persist whilst making Manehattan out to be a far cry from the antecedent to pony civilization I often see writers using it as in fan projects. The conflict was definitely plausible, and as someone who's modeled before, being around the people who're trying to coordinate between mishaps and things going bad every other second - I can say for sure Rarity was 100% still in character when she started giving her friends the guilt trip.

And it was okay! Because Rarity turned right around and noticed how selfish she was being, and in the end, the moral really did hold up well.

I paraphrase it because I speak differently than most people.

"If I got twenty, my brother get ten."

• Somehow this episode reminded me of that one part in Leisure Suit Larry 7....
  • "Normally [Rainbow Dash] doesn't even like musicals." Oh silly, she IS in a musical herself! ;) (One drawn out over at least 12 weeks.)
  • I've always liked Rarity's hamminess! ;) ;)

Wow. I can't say much, except that this was a good episode. Good song, one of the most unique jokes in a while (when RD made the statement about bursting into song), and one of the best morals in a while. This episode especially recieves extra credit for touching on an issue that most animated shows don't touch on to begin with, let alone kid's shows.

I don't have anything funny to say, so I'll get right down to it: I really enjoyed this episode. Many of S4's adventure/homage episodes have been fun to watch on the first airing, but in the end, the most memorable episodes are going to be the ones that stick to FiM's established bread-and-butter. 4.5 out of 5 for me! ;)

Looking forward to this for some time now. Made me happy enough to actually post about it here (normally I avoid threads like this). One of my favourites of now.

*claps hooves*

I imagine the moments with Rainbow helped too (first to notice Rarity upset; chastising Applejack for what Rainbow tends to do herself). Those stood out to me.

Suri Polomare was a delightful standout, with her lack of morality and cutthroat attitude; Rarity had never had a rival like this exactly, so it's kind of awesome to have a character like this.I also find her pretty cute. Want to see her again and I'd love to see her in the RP. Might have apped her myself if I wasn't already Rarity.

...This might be something I have to do now.

Well folks, it's that time of the weekend once again and to deliver my thoughts on this episode as a whole.

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"*slow hoof claps* Wow. Just wow. Rarity really, really did shine! A great episode all round!"

Now for those who haven't seen the episode just yet, I have spoilered my thoughts on the episode below out of respect:

Where do I begin? This episode was in Rarity's words......fabulous darling!

The main story of Rarity and her quest to make it big in the fashion scene during the Manehattan fashion week was a very interesting one to follow as it's a road I have traveled down myself many times in my life so far when I wanted to achieve my goals in life and was met with obstacles and challenges along the way.

So I could easily relate to what Rarity was going through in her quest to make it big in Manehattan and also the pain that she went through when Suri decided to play the copy card and take her designs as her own.

The song numbers in this episode were mind blowing as always and hearing Rarity sing a solo number (with Mane 6 in tow) for the first time in almost two years really got me toe tapping during the opening musical number and he reprise with Rarity standing in the pouring rain with her mane and coat all soaked got me a tad teary eyed.

Speaking of teary eyes and warm heartfelt feelings, Rarity went through a lot in this episode emotionally and some of the scenes, especially towards the end with Coco letting it all out and explaining to Rarity what happened was more than enough for me to shed a tear or two.

Another honourable mention in the emotional department is also the scene where Rarity ran out of the backstage area in tears and returning to the hotel, on the verge of losing it all together and then starting to cry hysterically and telling her story of woe.

Apart from that, a fabulous episode all round!

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

Archived